Blog Post 1
When we drive down the road on any given day, we
pass by numerous billboards off to the side, towering above most things around
you. They are clearly visible, and present to you a product or service that can
be purchased by you as a consumer. We may not realize the argument that these
billboards present whenever we see them, but having one right next to my work
has given me the time to examine them. The billboard by my work is an
advertisement for the UK federal credit union. It shows a UK
basketball player dribbling, and a portrait style photo of coach Cal. I didn’t think
much about it before, but I can now see that the argument shown on the
billboard is that the UKFCU is the best. Everyone loves the UK basketball team
and we are the winningest team in college basketball, and they attempt to associate
that with their bank and their services. They are arguing that they are the
best.
There are also arguments in places that we wouldn’t
expect or don’t really think about like in the packaging of products. There are
so many facts and features that are showcased on a package for something. When you
buy something, they don’t give an essay of why their product is better than a
competitors. They give facts and features of their product as if to say that
this is why you should buy this. I recently bought a GPS as a gift, and the
packaging was saying that it came with lifetime maps, and that the GPS had an
easy user interface, and was accurate to within a couple of yards. This
representation of information is an argument to buy the GPS over another that doesn’t
have quite the same features.
Another argument that I have found is just the
everyday disagreement. On the surface, a disagreement in opinions isn’t seen as
an argument all of the time, but it is in fact an argument. My run in with this
form of argument was with someone at work when they said that iPhone was better
than the Galaxy series of phones. Our disagreement was followed with reasons
for our thinking and opinion. This was an attempt to persuade each other to
think the way that the other was thinking. We were presenting an argument to each
other to change their views.
The second to last argument that I have noticed
is a newspaper. A newspaper has many potential rivals. It is easy to get
information on current events online or numerous other places, so newspaper editors
need to put a catchy title or cover story on. The Kentucky Kernel is no
different in its approach. The newspaper argues that their newspaper should be
picked up and read instead of other forms of current events. When the Kentucky Kernel
puts interesting stories on the cover, they are arguing to read their paper.
The last thing that I saw that presented an argument
was in a song title. The titles of songs are a recap of what the song is about,
but more importantly it presents an argument to people of why they need to
listen to the music. The title argues that the song is interesting and that it
would be fun, or interesting to listen to. It peaks interest in the audience
and argues for them to listen.
Great post, Fabian. You're already starting to see things within their own contexts, their own "rhetorical situations," which we will talk about in class tomorrow. I can particularly see this in your last observation that song titles are arguments. As I read that, I began to think of the types of song titles that might appeal to people more. At first, I thought, "Oh yes, I would be dismissive of song titles like the famous song "Song 2" by the band the Blur. However, this is even a kind of "sales tactic" as it could spark curiosity as to how that name came about and what it is really like!
ReplyDeleteRight now, it seems like all of these have something in common: that they are asking us/projecting some kind of evaluation. What is the best? What is the worst? What is the easiest to use? This leads me to consider whether every kind of argument has some level of evaluation to it. What do you think?