Thursday, January 30, 2014

Blog Post 3

Our topic speeches covered a lot of hot topics in the news. My topic was gun control, and I think that I did a mediocre job at delivering my information to the class. I was losing focus while I talked and couldn’t organize my thoughts into a coherent string of words. I didn’t think that I needed a notecard or anything to keep my thoughts organized for a one minute speech that I was so passionate about, but now I feel that I was wrong. I remember having so many ideas in my head and so many directions that I wanted to take my speech, but I drew mostly blank when it came time to deliver my speech. In addition to the lack of coherent thoughts that I possessed in front of the class, I was also fidgety when I was in the spotlight. I have never been good at public speaking, and this wasn’t a big surprise to me when I watched the recording of the speeches. Overall, I think that I delivered the main points of my topic, but there was definitely a lot of room for improvement and I will be working on that the rest of the semester.

1 comment:

  1. Nice reflection, Fabian. It's so hard to watch these recordings and what I want you to remember is that we are our own harshest critics when we see these, because we know "how it was supposed to go." I thought that you delivered some great information and even dipped into who stakeholders might be for this issue. That being said, I'm curious as to what other information you would've presented--we always think it will be so easy because it's only a short period of time. But often, when we're passionate about a topic we can lose ourselves in that passion, especially if we have a fear of public speaking--you're talking to a pro on that topic right here! But we'll work on some delivery techniques in the coming weeks that will hopefully help take away some of that fear and leave only the passion shining through.

    ReplyDelete